Tuesday, February 27, 2007

All iPods Go To Heaven

It finally happened. My first iPod has died. 'Tis a sad day in this music-addict's world.

After a year and a half of loyal service, my iPod has ceased to function. All I get now is the Apple logo and the unhappy iPod icon with a link to the Apple Tech support website. It all began with a leaky ziploc container...

As a healthy snack for work, I packed up a ziploc container with sliced cantaloupe and placed it in my shoulder bag. On the way home, I carelessly (and uncharacteristically) tossed my iPod into my bag, and then placed the empty (or so I thought) ziploc container in the bag next to it. The bag was then tossed into the backseat of the Jeep.

When I got home, I made a sickening discovery. The ziploc container had leaked cantaloupe juice all over my iPod. Thanks to the clear case that I keep on the iPod at all times, it was mostly protected, but part of the wheel was exposed and more than a little sticky. Fearing for it's life, I rushed it over to Futureshop where I had a Product Service Plan with them. They took it in, but told me spill damage was not covered by the PSP.

A short while later it was returned to me with no indication of anything wrong. They did their diagnostics and pronounced it healthy.

Now, a week ago I got the sad iPod icon and called Futureshop again. But as I was talking, I accidentally dropped my iPod on the carpet. It immediately started up again. I was so thrilled, that I hung up without another word. Then last night while I was on the treadmill at the gym, it hung again. I smacked it with the back of my hand and it started up again. But not for long. It's my belief that the hard-drive is going, so I took it to Futureshop. The girl said that I shouldn't bother since they'll just write it off as being water damaged.

I'm not prepared to give up. I found an iPod repairman in Edmonton, but I'm a little concerned about just sending my iPod to them without any guarantee that I'll ever see it again. It is, however, the only option left short of buying a brand new iPod.

In the meantime, I think I'll pick up a Shuffle and use that at the gym. At least then, I'll have some sort of portable music. I may very well go mad without it. Has anyone heard anything about the Shuffles?

Pray with me that we can bring my iPod back from the dead, lest it become one of the dearly Departed.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:07 a.m. , Blogger Quixotism said...

My ipod mini died after 2 years so I guess mine's the longest lasting one I've ever ever heard of. It survived being dropped a million times and survived all the water I droppied it in but the battery life is gone. I now have the shuffle. It is so small, you forget how delicate it is. The new ones have the option of letting you shuffle or play your music in order. I have the one gig one and it's definitely not enough but it suffices, cos it's better than buying another ipod.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home